We can exclusively reveal that Chucklefish is returning to its Intelligent Systems-inspired strategy RPG and making it a series with a brand new sequel later this year — Wargroove 2.
Partnering with Robotality, which developed the beautiful X-COM-style game Pathway in 2019, for this second strike, Wargroove 2 looks to build upon everything that made the original Wargroove a hit — signature pixel art, deep strategy action, and a brand new story-rich campaign.
Rather than taking to the fields, however, Wargroove 2 is set on the shores of Aurania, a beautiful beachy region that brings with it new units, maps, and Commanders. Special moves 'Grooves' return in an all-new tiered system, and there are now three campaign arcs for a more Fire Emblem: Three Houses-styled approach to storytelling.
It looks stunning, and it sounds brilliant — with music from Dale North — but why not check out the trailer above and take a glimpse at some lovely screenshots and excerpted details on the game from Chucklefish itself?
Trouble stirs on the shores of Aurania. An ambitious new faction has unearthed forbidden relics capable of catastrophic consequences. But how far will they go to achieve glory? Take to the field, sea, and sky with a cast of new Commanders, using your wits to wage turn-based war!
● An all-new Wargroove adventure for new recruits and veteran wardogs alike!
● Return to the frontline with new Commanders, as mysterious new factions join the fight
● Commanders are more powerful than ever, with an all-new tiered Groove system
● Follow 3 new Campaign arcs, interwoven in a fierce conclusion
● Battle with or against your friends in Co-Op & Multiplayer mode, locally or online for up to 4 players
● Put your strategic abilities to the test with a new roguelike mode - Conquest!
● Develop new tactics with 5 new unit types to master
● Level-up ordinary units by picking up special items
● Get more creative than ever with new & improved map, campaign & cutscene editors
● Captivating soundtrack written by composer Dale North (Nintendo eShop ['The Download'], Disney Wish park and cruise experience, River City Girls 1 & 2, RWBY Arrowfell)
Well, we certainly weren't expecting to be taking up arms along the coast and returning to the charming world of Wargroove, but we're incredibly excited to see what Robotality brings to the table here.
We were pretty big fans of the original when it launched back in 2019, even going as far as saying that "if Intelligent Systems does ever decide to revive its cult classic series, it’s going to have some stiff competition to contend with thanks to Chucklefish's efforts". And with Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp coming in April, this will be the ultimate test.